No wind: racing abandoned at Puerto Portals 52 Super Series day 1
Tuesday, August 21, 2018 4:43 PM
After waiting for breeze to kick in until 3 PM, Maria Torrijo, the 52 Super Series Principal Race Officer, hoisted the AP over A flag: racing abandoned for the day due to lack of breeze. The fleet of ten TP52s stayed at the docks and will have to wait until tomorrow at 1 PM CEST to begin this event, the fourth in the 2018 52 Super Series. The forecast for tomorrow is for light thermal breeze, but conditions could also be like todays's where a light gradient wind from the north east encountered thermal breeze from the south west and created a situation of dead calm in Palma Bay.
So all eyes are on the anemometer in the hopes that conditions will allow the fleet of TP52s, the top fleet in monohull racing today, to compete at this event tomorrow.
Alegre – Andy Soriano (USA/GBR), 2018 Botin
Azzurra – Roemmers Family (ARG/ITA), 2018 Botin
Gladiator – Tony Langley (GBR), 2017 Botin
Luna Rossa – Patrizio Bertelli (ITA), 2018 Botin
Onda – Eduardo de Souza Ramos (BRA), 2018 Botin
Phoenix – Hasso/Tina Plattner (RSA), 2018 Botin
Platoon – Harm Müller-Spreer (GER), 2018 Vrolijk
Provezza – Ergin Imre (TUR), 2018 Vrolijk
Quantum Racing – Racing Doug DeVos (USA), 2018 Botin
Sled – Takashi Okura (USA), 2018 Botin
52 SUPER SERIES 2018, Overall ranking:
1. Quantum Racing (USA) (Doug DeVos) 96 p.
2. Sled (USA) (Takashi Okura) 115 p.
3. Azzurra (ARG/ITA) (Alberto and Pablo Roemmers) 125 p.
4. Luna Rossa (ITA) (Patrizio Bertelli) 126 p
5. Platoon (GER) (Harm Müller-Spreer) 129 p.
6. Alegre (USA/GBR) (Andrés Soriano) 133 p.
7. Phoenix (RSA) (Hasso/Tina Plattner) 147p.
8. Provezza (TUR) (Ergin Imre) 163 p.
9. Onda (BRA) (Eduardo de Souza Ramos) 184 p.
10. Gladiator (GBR) (Tony Langley) 218 p.