Monaco Sportsboat Winter Series 2017 Act V Final
Monday, March 6, 2017 2:15 PM
The curtain fell on the 2016/2017 Monaco Sportsboat Winter Series organised by the Yacht Club de Monaco with clothing supplier SLAM. The final Act attracted 250 sailors on 70 boats, with a steady westerly on the final day.
This Series has established itself as a major event, with a total of 70 races for 300-plus sailors (14 nationalities) divided into J/70, Melges 20, Star, M32 and GC32 between October and March. Many have their training base in the Principality to prepare for the upcoming season.
With 69 international teams competing this winter Monaco is a mecca for J/70s, thanks to a highly-motivated Monaco J/70 Class Association presided by Michel Boussard of 17 boats.
The YCM’s Ludovico Fassitelli (Junda-Banca del Sempione) won the Act 5 trophy and came 3rd for the season, with Valeriya Kovalenko (Arttube) topping the season’s ranking ahead of the Brazilian Manda Chuva.
In the Melges 20s, Russian Alexandr Ezhkov (Pirogovo Sailing) dropped to 3rd in their final Act, behind Dmitry Samokhin (Rocknrolla) with the Italian Maolca led by Manfredi Vianini Tolomei in 1st, but it was enough to secure him the title for the season. YCM member Valentin Zavadnikov (Synergy), the man behind the Monaco Sportsboat Winter Series, was 4th for the season.
In the M32s, Italian Riccardo Simoneschi (Italia Sailing Team) dominated from start to finish and also won the 2016/2017 season trophy ahead of the circuit’s local Guido Miani (Team Neverland). In the Stars, competing in the third stage of their European winter circuit, the German Reinhard Schmidt (Econ Industries) was robbed of victory by Dutchman Thomas Allart (8334) on the last day, with Swede Tom Lofstedt (8517) in 3rd.
The Monaco Sportsboat Winter Series starts again, with the Melges 20s on 13-15 October 2017.
Meanwhile, the Yacht Club de Monaco hosts the Olympic class 470 European Championship for the first time (6-13 May 2017) with contestants from across the world including Israel and China.
Overall top three ranking for Act V of the Monaco Sportsboat Winter Series
J/70 (after 5 races)
1. Ludovico Fassitelli (Junda), MON, 25 points
2. Charles Thompson (Brutus), GBR, 35
3. Stefan Seger (Jurmo), SUI, 36
Melges 20 (after 6 races)
1. Manfredi Vianini Tolomei (Maolca), ITA, 25
2. Dmitry Samokhin (Rocknrolla), RUS, 30
3. Aleksander Ezhkov (Pirogovo sailing), RUS, 33
M32 (after 8 races)
1. Riccardo Simoneschi (Italia Sailing Team), ITA, 18
2. Johnie Berntsson (FLUX Team), SWE, 20
3. Richard Davies (Section 16), SUI, 23
Star (after 4 races)
1. Thomas Allart, NED, 9
2. Reinhard Schmidt, GER, 10
3. Tom Lofstedt, SWE, 13
Final overall ranking for the 2016/2017 Monaco Sportsboat Winter Series season
J/70 (after 21 races)
1. Valeriya Kovalenko (Arttube), RUS, 107
2. Mario Garcia (Manda Chuva), BRA, 110
3. Ludovico Fassitelli (Junda), MON, 113
Melges 20 (after 27 races)
1. Alexandr Ezhkov (Pirogovo Sailing), RUS, 56
2. Alexander Novoselov (Victor) RUS, 85
3. Vadim Yahinson(Leviathan), RUS, 128
M32 (after 25 races)
1. Riccardo Simoneschi (Italia Sailing Team), ITA, 56
2. Guido Miani (Team Neverland), MON, 49
3. Patrik Sturesson (Cape Crow Viking)