O Yachts launches its first power catamaran: Class 6 Power
Thursday, April 23, 2020 8:10 PM
O Yachts is launching its new Power version of the Class 6. After two years of sea trials the engine version is validated; the "Smart Hybrid" brings together the best of both worlds:
- electric for a cleaner planet
- diesel for the wider range.
The electrical system is entrusted to OceanVolt with a 15kw motor/hydrogenerator associated to a bank of 19KW lithium batteries. The diesel system relies on several engine manufacturers for powers from 80 to 110hp. The large bore diesel block (3.4L minimum) is used for its power at low rpm with a large variable pitch propeller and some secret optimisations.
The maximum speed is 13 knots while the cruising speed varies between 8 knots and 10 knots depending on the load, but with a weight of 11.5T ready to go to sea without any adjustments, the configurations are multiple with 8T of load.
At 12T and 10 knots, the consumption reaches the MAGIC FIGURE of 1Liter / Mile.
At 15T and 9.3 knots, the magic figure of 1 Liter / Mile is maintained.
At 19T and 8.2 knots, the consumption remains at 1.22L/Mile.
Class 6 Power offers a new vision of cruising and is available with two propulsion configurations:
- Smart Hybrid: electric 15 KW and Diesel 80 to 110hp
- Full electric: two electric motors 15 KW or 20 KW and with a battery and generator park according to the navigation program.
The solar and wind panels option is possible for both versions with a 5 KW solar array and/or two wind turbines and/or short carbon mast equipped with a single Genaker type sail. One or two specific kite sails (Parlier). A video is available on the website. Routes of more than 3000 miles can be easily achieved.
Built in Latvia in composite and carbon, the Class 6 platform is suitable for many applications:
- Globetrotter version: this configuration is designed for a family wishing to take a sabbatical year.
- Diving tour: a version to bring divers allows a reduced operating cost and the possibility to reach protected nature reserves thanks to the electric motor.
- For hotels and resorts: with its 44m2 platform, the catamaran offers all its width for a comfortable
XL welcome to hotel guests either by shuttle or for daily outings.
- Working catamaran: for two years the Class 6 was successfully used by scientists for a marine acoustic whale tracking project in the Mediterranean Sea.The hull has already proven its qualities as a base for high performance sailing boats.