2018 Melges 24 European Sailing Series- Day 2: What a Maidollis!
Saturday, June 30, 2018 7:10 PM
The deep knowledge of the race course of Northern Garda Lake pays off for the crew of Maidollis ITA854 so that, after having reached the top of the standings after the races of yesterday, today has been protagonist of three more amazing performances and scored three bullets in a row, strongly affirming itself as the leader of the provisional ranking and as a boat of the day. Strong and steady Ora wind helped to execute three races by PRO Carla Malavolta.
After the discard today with a margin of 22 points, the main follower of Luca Perego's Maidollis with Fracassoli-Fonda tandem aboard, is the former two-time Corinthian World Champion Taki 4 ITA778 (10-3-7), where the owner Marco Zammarchi has come back to the race course for the first time of the season after an injury, joining again onboard his helmsman Niccolò Bertola and tactician Giacomo Fossati.
With a very consistent series, the Estonian entry Zuxu EST791 (5-9-20), with Peter Saraskin in helm and Italian Lorenzo Bodini calling the tactics, managed to climb up to the third position in the overall ranking and completes the provisional podium with a margin of 5 points over Hagar ITA490 (8-12-27) by James Brucato, with Matteo Ivaldi helming, and of 9 points over War Canoe USA841 (7-7-UFD) by Michael Goldfarb and Morten Henriksen as tactician, at his second attendance in a 2018 Melges 24 European Sailing Series event.
The Corinthian division is led by the above mentioned Taki 4, followed by also two-time Corinthian World Champion Lenny (4-20-4) by Toniste twins with a margin of 21 points and by Miles Quinton's Gill Race Team GBR694 (3-5-13) with Geoff Carveth in helm, protagonist of a very good series in the second day of racing in Torbole, in third position.
Tonight, the 46 participating crews will enjoy a dinner offered by Circolo Vela Torbole and tomorrow, for the last day race of racing, regattas will resume at 11.00am.
Top 10 after 6 races and a discard:
1. ITA 854 MAIDOLLIS Carlo Fracassoli 1-(5)-3-1-1-1 - 7 pts
2. ITA 778 TAKI 4 Niccolo Bertola 4-(27)-5-10-3-7 - 29 pts CORINTHIAN
3. EST 791 ZUXU Peter Saraskin 5-8-8-5-9-(20) - 35 pts
4. ITA 490 HAGAR Matteo Ivaldi 6-7-7-8-12-(27) - 40 pts
5. USA 841 WAR CANOE Michael Goldfarb 12-2-16-7-7-(ufd) - 44 pts
6. RUS 817 STRIIBOG Leonid Altukhov 11-10-12-6-8-(18) - 47 pts
7. EST 790 LENNY Tõnu Tõniste 13-9-(30)-4-20-4 - 50 pts CORINTHIAN
8. GBR 694 GILL RACE TEAM Geoff Carveth 9-(31)-22-3-5-13 - 52 pts CORINTHIAN
9. DEN 837 UPUPUP Bo Boje Pedersen (ufd)-21-18-9-2-3 - 53 pts
10. ITA 722 ALTEA Andrea Racchelli (ufd)-1-20-21-6-8 56 pts