The Mistral Affects Racing at the Audi 52 SUPER SERIES Again
Thursday, September 26, 2019 9:09 PM
Winds were over 40 knots on the race area at times and though an initial postponement was signalled to 1400hrs, before then it became evident that the wind was going to remain too strong for fair, safe racing.
With two possible days of racing now remaining of the 2019 season the position of the Roemmers family’s Azzurra, which flies the burgee of the Yacht Club Costa Smeralda, becomes stronger. They have a lead of 11 points over Platoon and 16 ahead of the 2018 champions Quantum Racing. If they can secure the season championship title it would be Azzurra’s fourth, adding to wins in 2012, 2015 and 2017.
After the three races held yesterday Sled of Takashi Okura leads the regatta with a one point advantage over Azzurra and six points over four boats, Bronenosec, Alegre, Phoenix and Quantum, all sharing the same points aggregate.
María Torrijo, the Principal Race Officer is optimistic for the last two days:
“For tomorrow we have a good forecast for NW’ly winds of between 12 and 18 knots and our intention is to make three races.”
Audi 52 SUPER SERIES Sailing Week Porto Cervo
Regatta standings after Day 3
1. Sled (USA) (Takashi Okura) (1,2,6) 9 p)
2. Azzurra (ARG/ITA) (Alberto/Pablo Roemmers) (3,5,2) 10 p.
3. Bronenosec (RUS) (Vladimir Liubomirov) (4,10,1) 15 p.
4. Alegre (USA/GBR) (Andrés Soriano) (9,1,5) 15 p.
5. Quantum Racing (USA) (Doug DeVos) (5,3,7) 15 p.
6. Phoenix 11 (RSA) (Tina Plattner) (6,6,3) 15 p.
7. Platoon (GER) (Harm Müller-Spreer) (8,4,4) 16 p.
8. Provezza (TUR) (Ergin Imre) (2,7,8) 17 p.
9. Gladiator (GBR) (Tony Langley) (7,8,9) 24 p.
10. Team Vision Future (FRA) (Jean Jacques Chaubard) (10,9,11DNF) 30 p.
2019 52 SUPER SERIES
1. Azzurra (ARG/ITA) (Alberto/Pablo Roemmers) 143 p.
2. Platoon (GER) (Harm Müller-Spreer) 154 p.
3. Quantum Racing (USA) (Doug DeVos) 159 p.
4. Bronenosec (RUS) (Vladimir Liubomirov) 163 p.
5. Provezza (TUR) (Ergin Imre) 176 p.
6. Alegre (USA/GBR) (Andrés Soriano) 189 p.
7. Sled (USA) (Takashi Okura) 211 p.
8. Phoenix 11 (RSA) (Tina Plattner) 218 p.
Racing at the Audi 52 SUPER SERIES Sailing Week Porto Cervo starts on Tuesday 24th September and finishes on Saturday 28th September. On the final three days of racing, you can enjoy live images from the water supported by expert commentary and analysis. On the first two days of racing, only state-of-the-art Virtual Eye boat tracking will be possible.