World Sailing and the CISM agree to develop sailing in partnership
Tuesday, November 19, 2019 10:22 AM
World Sailing, the world governing body of the sport, has partnered with the Conseil International du Sport Militaire (CISM), the international military multi-sport organisation, to develop the sport of sailing in partnership for the next four-years.
The signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) will see World Sailing and CISM work towards encouraging the development of training and competition in sailing by all military athletes.
Furthermore, both organisations agree to:
- Encourage the development of Para World Sailing and women's military sailing;
- Establish true synergies in sport affairs;
- Identify shared World Sailing and CISM goals;
- Set up joint educational initiatives to protect sailing against the dangers of doping;
- Establish collaboration in the development of International Technical Officials;
- Promote the values of sports in general and specifically sailing.
Kim Andersen, World Sailing President, commented, "Sailing has always been deeply embedded within the military with international representatives competing regularly, in numbers, at the World Military Sailing Championships.
"Today's announcement sees the CISM share our vision and mission for millions more people to fall in love with sailing and protect the waters of the world.
"We look forward to working with CISM over the next four years, and many more beyond that, across various pillars of our sport."
CISM President, Colonel Hervé Piccirillo, said, "I'm convinced that the agreement we signed with World Sailing is the start of a long journey and that this partnership will grant mutual benefits and joint advantages for both organisations."
He also added, "This MoU will also help us to improve the quality and level of excellence of our athletes and partners."