Team Mac is ready for quarter finals, with 10 wins and one loss
Thursday, August 8, 2019 2:29 PM
In perfect sailing conditions, with winds between 10-14 knots, on the second day of competition at the Lysekil Women's Match / Women's Match Racing World Championship Lucy Macgregor showed why she is the two-time defending World Champion by winning 7 out of 7 matches.
In the lead, after 16 flights of Round Robin, Macgregor has only lost one match.
With a winning streak of 10 wins and only one loss, Team Mac have secured a place in the quarter finals.
After racing she said, "Fantastic day for us, it's been great conditions here, and it has been important to sail fast because it is quite tricky to manoeuvre in these boats. I think there is big differences between the teams that are really fast and the ones that are just average. So, we have done that well and just gone down the course really cleanly."
Round Robin racing will continue on Thursday for the nine teams that still have matches to sail, before we know who will qualify directly to the quarter finals. Macgregor, with 10 out of 11 wins, on the other hand can sit back and relax knowing they are in top four and through to the next round.
"Now we will probably make sure to stretch and get the sore muscles working again. It's been quite physical the last two days. I think a bit of a break will be good for us to be able to reenergize and get ready for the quarterfinals," concluded Lucy Macgregor.
Two more teams have finished the Round Robin: Team Emerson and the Swiss Women Match Racing Team.
The Swedish Team Emerson, with skipper Marie Björling Duell, had a tough day with seven matches in a row. Despite the tight schedule they managed to take home five wins, leaving them with a total of seven wins out of 11 matches after the Round Robin. All that is left for them to do now is wait and see if they will qualify directly to quarter finals.
Duell said, "Actually I am a little bit tired right now, but we had a good day out at the water and that gives you energy as well. Today we sailed much better than yesterday and if we sail tomorrow we will be even better, and if we sail on Saturday we will sail our best."
Standings for Lysekil Women's Match / Women's Match Racing World Championship:
At the end of Day Two - 16 of 22 round robin flights.
(skipper, team name, country, wins-losses, points, winning %):
1. Lucy Macgregor, Team Mac, GBR, 10-1, 10, 91%
2. Pauline Courtois, Match in Pink by Normandy Elite Team, FRA, 4-1, 4, 80%
3. Johanna Bergqvist, Team Bergqvist Match Racing, SWE, 4-1, 4, 80%
4. Anna Östling, WINGS, SWE, 6-2, 6, 75%
5. Marie Björling Duell, Team Emerson, SWE, 7-4, 7, 64%
6. Claire Leroy, Mermaid Sailing Team, FRA, 5-3, 4.5, 56%
7. Nicole Breault, Vela Racing, USA, 4-4, 4, 50%
8. Trine Palludan, Team Kattnakken, DEN, 3-5, 3, 38%
9. Renée Groeneveld, Dutch Match Racing Team, NED, 3-5, 3, 38%
10. Marinella Laaksonen, L2 Match Racing Team, FIN, 1-4, 1, 20%
11. Alexa Bezel, Swiss Women Match Racing Team, SUI, 1-10, 1, 9%
12. Margot Vennin, Matchmoiselles by Normandy Elite Team, FRA, 0-8, -0.25, 0%